Having your roof collapse can be an unexpected nightmare. A collapse can happen during any time of the year, but with the weight of heavy snowfall we sometimes see here in Ohio, it is best to make sure your roof is in good condition to withstand the elements.
Snow-related collapses can be caused by heavy amounts of snow accumulation on any type of roofing. One cubic foot of dry snow weighs approximately 6 to 8 pounds, while packed snow and/or ice can weigh even more. Now add this to the weigh that’s already on your roof from one or two layers of shingles. Other forms of precipitation can compound the problem if moisture from rain or sleet has been absorbed into the roof. Flat roofs and lower sloped roofs are at a greater risk because they will accumulate larger amounts of precipitation.
Major warning signs should be addressed immediately by contacting your local roofer. Those signs include:
- Sagging sections of exterior shingles or interior ceiling.
- Bends, ripples or deformities in the roof supports, framing or structure
- Severe/repeated leakage
- Cracks in the exterior masonry
- Sprinkler heads that have dropped below ceiling tiles
- Doors or windows that are difficult to open or pop open on their own
- Bent or bowed utility pipes or conduits at ceiling
Should you notice any of these conditions, contact Dependable Construction for a free consultation with one of our estimators.
Regular maintenance and inspection of your roof will help you identify any type of roof damage and help prevent a collapse if fixed in a timely manner. Some preventative maintenance tips include:
- Removing debris, which can hold moisture and stain your roof.
- Addressing mold and algae, which can hold moisture
- Keep drains, gutters and downspouts clear of leaves, dirt and debris so that drains can flow freely
- Remove excessive amounts of snow from the roof.
- Repair roof issues when they are discovered to prevent any further damage.
For help with any of these remember Dependable Construction & Remodeling can assets with all your needs. We are a trusted contractor in Dayton, OH. We specializes in many different home improvement projects. We will help you turn any house into your dream home while only using the highest-quality materials and best workmanship in the area.