Dependable Construction would like to take a minute to remind everyone that when a storm comes it can be very scary. We have put together a list of what every homeowner should do before, during and right after a storm has hit our area.
Before the storm:
- Be sure trees and shrubs around your home are well-trimmed.
- Clear away any loose debris around your home.
- Clear clogged rain gutters and downspouts.
- Secure all outdoor furniture, decorations, trash cans and anything else could get damaged in the winter weather.
- Install a generator for emergencies.
- Stock up on fuel for your generator.
- Gather blankets and firewood to help keep your family warm in the event that the power goes out.
- Take pictures of your home inside and out for insurance purposes.
- Make sure you prepare a space for your pets.
- Prepare a list of emergency numbers in case the power is out for an extended amount of time. (Include plumbers, electricians, the power company and roofing companies to contact for emergency repairs.)
- Listen to the radio or TV for information.
- Avoid using the phone except for serious emergencies.
- Stay off the roads during the storm to allow emergency vehicles access to the roadways.
- Bring your pets in out of the storm.
- Keep away from loose or dangling power lines and report them immediately to the power company.
- Stay out of any building that has water around it.
- Inspect your home for damage.
- Take pictures of damage, both of the building and its contents, for insurance purposes.
- Call in a professional like Dependable Construction for any damages you need repaired.